Sunday, June 14

resort pt. 1

Photobucket

1. phoebe philo = nope. not liking this at all. the color pallete was much too bland for my tastes. i'm not expecting lime green or canary yellow, but it is resort and is intended for...well...summer? tan and beige are not resort. now, their aren't any guide lines for the colors...she could use tan and beige if the designs were executed in a different way. but this collection felt stiff and unattractive. it did have its pieces, ones with color, most specifically the cobalt pants which i could see selling well and looking well. really the only piece i'd even consider eyeing. for the most part it was really dull, sorry phoebe!

2. prada = miuccia nailed it. god this women does fantastic prints. she definitely borrowed heavily from the prada archives and the colors were awesome. not only was the collection adorable, wearable, and welcoming it also screamed resort when you looked at it. resort is meant to be safe, sellable, so i'm not expecting anything mindblowingly beautiful from any designer but i really enjoyed this collection and i hope i see hints of it in her spring 2010...

3. christopher kane = sorry tavi, i liked the atomic bomb dresses. was this collection good? no, i actually thought it was kind of a miss on mr. kane's part. though i must defend the bomb dresses! i think the print itself it beautiful. using a more complicated silhouette would end up messing up the simplicity of the print, and the image of the mushroom cloud itself is powerful enough that it changes the flat, average cut into something interesting. i don't think christopher was trying to make a statement with these dresses, he just liked the image. as for other parts of the collection (UGH THOSE JEANS) they really made me cringe. but the mushroom cloud dresses were beautiful, and i would most certainly wear the print!

4. marc jacobs = this resort collection sucked. really, it did. i am all for ugly grandma florals but marc didn't even attempt to use the floral in a youthful, ironic way. even a little. actually he managed to create ugly outfits using ugly florals. there were a few cute dresses that would suit any 16 year old going to a highschool dance, but then there were some dresses that looked like they were torn from a 1984 Sears catalogue. marc, sometimes 80's fashion can be cute...but this resort was just ugly. and boring. a few cute striped t-shirts here and there, but the tweed jackets with neon fringe?! WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

so that's my resort so far. it's pretty much not that interesting.

12 comments:

Tavi said...

I too think the image of the bombs is beautiful in a weird way, and it's neat that they CAN be beautiful, since they're bombs. And yes, the image is extremely interesting. But that's the picture, and Kane didn't do much to change them. At all, really.
"Using a more complicated silhouette would mess up the simplicity of the print," but what simplicity is there to a picture of a nuclear bomb going off? Obviously he wasn't trying to make a statement with the dresses, and that's what bothers me...not that he tried and failed, I would actually like that more. I know Resort is just supposed to sell, and just to fund the actual collections like RTW, which are also boring as hell, but it was a bad execution of inspiration.

Annie said...

I agree with you about Marc Jacobs and Prada, the latter was pretty much the perfect resort collection and the former was like... erm... this is gross and you disappoint me.

Jowy said...

I like ya blog and you are really funny, although I have to say that I do like Christopher Kane's collection allot..especially the bomb print and I like the fact that he kept it simple.

ONE LOVE,
Jowy
www.iseejanemary.blogspot.com

Lucy (The Fashion Setter) said...

I didn't like MJ... But I like Phoebe's collection

laia. said...

i loved Phoebe Philo's debut at Celine, I mean, I feel what you said because i thought the beginning looks were kinda terrible and then by the end it all got sorted out, but then again, I've been having a love affair with the "nudes" lately so I my be biased a little.

As for Christopher Kane (and I didnt have time to respond on Tavi's post), I really really liked it, although I TOTALLY understand where Tavi is coming from. I think some pieces were more succesful than others, and also considering this is a resort collection and not a full on spring or fall, I am willing to let that slide because it's more or less filler and I think its kinda weird when designers go ALL OUT for resort/pre -fall collections (even if all editors are always talking about how these mini collections are getting more important). I think the fact that they are such simple pieces will also allow people to feel more comfortable buying them and mixing them into their everyday wardrobe.

And MJ... well... yeah it looked kinda crazy and I saw a lot of things that seemed like leftovers from the Spring collection, but I think that the styling had a lot to do with the crazy and the individual pieces are probably totally awesome.

sophie said...

totally agree celine was awful. marc and marc by marc were both awful too. i think dvf and prada were great! :D

Rosé Magritte said...

Yeah man, resort wasn't very interesting at all. Even Balenciaga. Sucked.

I kind of liked Phoebe Philo though, but you make a valid point. The colours were pretty bland and they don't conform to what resort is typically supposed to be about. And I doubt she tried to defy norms or anything because the colours are just too bland. I'm having a stage with boy-like simplistic clothes though so might explain why I have a soft spot for it.

I love the prints on Christopher Kane too but I feel like there was nothing put behind it. I mean if I googled Sally Mann photos and was extremely intrigued and inspired by the photos I wouldn't just copy the photos and put them on overly-simplistic dresses. I felt like there was no thought behind it, y'know. Nothing abstract or whatever. Him being all "yeah I googled the photos and thought they were cool" about it doesn't help the fact either. But nevertheless, I would not hesitate to put it on if someone asked me to wear it.

Marc needs to step up his game though, yo. Never really been a crazy fan of his stuff but shit's just getting weak nowadays.

Rosé Magritte said...

I just read the other posts above mine and basically they said what I was thinking *face palm* I should probably read before I go and respond with short story narratives on your posts.

Emilie said...

I actually was with Laia on this one ( Creeps to use your name? if so I apologize I read your blog though 0_o ) By this one I mean the philo collection. I think "nudes" is in fact a flattering summer pallette to draw from and that, though perhaps I am too conservative in this respect, these looks were really simple and cool. The cobalt pants were made even better by the nude backdrop. Not that they weren't just fabulous on their own of course because they were..Total agreement on Marc Jacobs, as well as Prada. As far as Christopher Kane is concerned, I don't think he made a huge statement, yet I think you have made a fair point about the starkness of the pictures themselves. More to add but this is way too long as is.

Emilie

Emily said...

don't know anything about fashion but i like the mushroom cloud thing too

i mean i'd wear it

Gabby said...

i loved prada. i am horrible at keeping up with shows. your pretty collages just show me the good stuff.

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀