Friday, August 7

i heart nyc

"DO? YOU? REALLY? LOVE? NEW YORK?” HE SAID, “NEW YORK?” I SAID, “YOUR. SHIRT.” HE LOOKED AT HIS SHIRT. I POINTED AT THE N AND SAID “NEW,” AND THE Y AND SAID “YORK.” HE LOOKED CONFUSED, OR EMBARRASSED, OR SURPRISED, OR MAYBE EVEN MAD. I COULDN’T TELL WHAT HE WAS FEELING, BECAUSE I COULDN’T SPEAK THE LANGUAGE OF HIS FEELINGS. “I NOT KNOW WAS NEW YORK. IN CHINESE, NY MEAN ‘YOU.’ THOUGHT WAS ‘I LOVE YOU.’ ” IT WAS THEN THAT I NOTICED THE “I ♥ NY” POSTER ON THE WALL, AND THE “I ♥ NY” FLAG OVER THE DOOR, AND THE “I ♥ NY” DISHTOWELS, AND THE “I ♥ NY” LUNCHBOX ON THE KITCHEN TABLE. I ASKED HIM, “WELL, THEN WHY DO YOU LOVE EVERYBODY SO MUCH?"

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Safran Foer


P.S. i'd like to add that ms. emily reccomended me this book and it had been sitting on my bookshelf for so long and i had never picked it up until she told me how wonderful it was. thank you for that!

10 comments:

Annie said...

i've been meaning to pick that up and read it for ages. i think this has inspired me to do so.

emily said...

this is my favorite book ever

zzellers said...

i love this book so much (i like that you do, too)! i read it last summer because my friend recommended it to me and it's one of the best recommendations i've received.

Lara said...

I love this book...

L.P. said...

I love new york,
I have never read this book
:(

Gabby said...

i started reading this at Barnes & Noble a little while ago and now you've reminded me to pick it back up again! hooray.

&&& said...

gonna read thissss

lydia said...

best book i've ever read!

gilda said...

ny means 'you' in chinese?? i don't quite get that but i do love that you are using ponyo on your blog. :D

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀