Wednesday, February 3

Girl Power!

Photobucket

I posted on my tumblr at the beginning of the week that Marisa Meltzer sent me her book Girl Power: The Nineties Revolution In Music. As a girl who has been digging music made my ladies far more than tunes made by men, this book is like a dream come true. Meltzer leaves nobody untouched, going over the entire female music scene of the 90's and touching on the most important genres and movements like Riot Grrrl, Kindercore, and even the glittery era of Girl Pop groups like the Spice Girls.

Now, was I really around to enjoy all of this awesome female 90's music? No, because I was born in 1994 I hardly got to experience any of the music scenes or sounds mentioned in the book when I was alive in the 90's but I strongly assure you, almost all of the ladies in this book are women I worship today. This book is a collection of what it means to be a female musician in a decade that changed the way people completely viewed women in music, politically, sexually, artistically. I never, ever saw The Spice Girls or Cyndi Lauper as singers who created music that would empower women, but Girl Power picks apart every woman's music to find it's feminist core.

This isn't a book about a specific genre of music. It is really a book about women and the music they created in the 90's. Every single girl who appreciates music by female musicians can like this book, and that's what makes me love it so much. It doesn't matter if you're a Bratmobile groupie, dig L7, listen to Fiona Apple, or even adore Britney Spears you're going to find that together, all of those girls that created the music in this decade sent such vibrations through the industry and the minds of young girls who love music.

5 comments:

bobb said...

I need to read this book. Although the 60s girl group sound is my favorite, there were lots of 90's groups I loved - L7, Sleater-Kinney, etc.

Anonymous said...

ok, cool... i just made a lot of some other new emo backgrounds 2 my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info

Jessica Druck said...

i effin love the 90s. Fiona Apple raised me even though i was too young to understand her lyrics. My mom shunned me when her videos came on Pop up Video on VH1...ahhh the good ol' days!

chris petres said...

i want that book..and i was born in 94 too!!yea

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,菲梵酒店經紀,酒店經紀,禮服酒店上班,酒店小姐,便服酒店經紀,酒店打工,酒店寒假打工,酒店經紀,酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工經紀,制服酒店經紀,專業酒店經紀,合法酒店經紀,酒店暑假打工,酒店兼職,便服酒店工作,酒店打工,酒店經紀,制服酒店經紀,酒店經紀