Saturday, September 4

Album Review: Interpol Is All Kinds of Terrible

Photobucket


Try It On

I am a huge Interpol fan. Everything they've put out in their early days was just fantastic, but their sound is growing weaker with every album they put out. Turn On the Bright Lights was dark and borderline shoegaze on some songs, always with strong drums and bass. Antics was less screamy, less distorted, and although cleaner in sound it was still somber and well-received by critics. Our Love to Admire was not nearly as gritty as the last two albums and it seemed as if a new major label (Capitol) led Interpol far away from Joy Division and more towards an overly produced sound. Some songs were strong but the entire album was a flop. With the bitchin' bassist Carlos gone (Interpol is all bass!) the band puts out a brand new self-titled album which is the worst thing they've ever created.

My biggest peeve with Interpol is that they lost their awry sound. You could barely understand what Paul is saying in some of his Turn on the Bright Lights songs. All those songs sound like the vocals were recorded in a shitty basement room and it totally works! Their new album is too intricate when it comes to vocal layering. It sounds like there are three lead singers singing at once and I just can't take it. It's terrible. "Try It On" is especially painful, where the singing reaches Wolf Parade-esque highness and the phrase "try it on" (surprise) is repeated a thousand times in the background. TRY WHAT ON? A DIFFERENT RECORD ON THE PLAYER BECAUSE THIS SUCKS?!

There is too much shit going on in the background. Interpol introduced us to that awesome organ in their song "Next Exit" on the Antics album. Our Love to Admire introduced us to the piano. In this new album, I have no idea what's going on in the background! I swear, to fucking god...that there is a synthesizer on this album on the track "All of The Ways." Aren't you even listening to your fans?! GO BACK TO YOUR OLDER SOUND. Too much piano in these songs too. Dare I say it...but Interpol sounds like Coldplay on a lot of this album. Do you need a tissue from crying all over your keyboard, because I do...

This album is so far from what Interpol used to be I can't believe it's the same band. All of that dark, depressing music has been thrown out the window and replaced with piano ballads. Did I mention that EVERY SONG IS SLOW? Where is the super fast guitar riffs a la "Slow Hands" and "PDA" that I love?! I don't know super Interpol fans...guess this the end for this band.

The self-titled album Interpol comes out September 7th.

9 comments:

Andrea MacĂ­as said...

I think the fucking horrible piano was necessary because all the melodies are so fucking boring and lame that they needed some other sound to justify the song existence. now i get why carlos left, im so so sad hazel :(. im gonna see them in a festival the next month, and they have 30 min to play IF THEY PLAY MORE THAN 1 FUCKING SONG OF THIS ALBUM AND IF PAUL DOES NOT SHAVE AND PUT SOME NICE CLOTHES ON IM GONNA PRODUCE A GENOCIDE

Anonymous said...

you fucking hipster cunt

Anonymous said...

you fucking hipster cunt

brandon said...

"I am a huge Interpol fan. (sic)"

All right, that's my attempt at snark. Now that that's out of the way...

I really disagree with your analysis. There's not that much piano across the album. If it's featured prominently, it's often just a simple, economical melody line that soon gets covered over by building textures. The songs aren't all slow. It's true most are at a kind of medium tempo, but there's only one truly slow song and a couple of uptempo tracks.

I like the album, but it took a few listens to get there. I'm just glad the album is as focused as it is after the bastard album OLTA.

hazel said...

I think Interpol perfected darkwave revival and they've lost it with this album.

laia. said...

turn on the bright lights is such an extraordinary record that i dont think they will ever top it or even come close. each album after that got worse and worse... i mean "theres no i in threesome?" sorry pals, not gonna happen.

carlos knew he just had to get the HELL out of there before it was too late.

Annabel said...

agreeing SO HARD with every single thing you've said. i cringed through most of the album and was tempted to stop listening but i had to give it a chance. i consider myself a pretty hxc interpol fan (my blog name being just the tip of the iceberg, i was ready to fork over a pretty penny for the precipitate ep on ebay until i was outbid at the last minute) and have been seeing them live every time they're in town for the past 6 or 7 years but now... now i just don't know. i'm all for bands exploring new sounds while they develop and age but this new stuff sounds too forced. it's like they abandoned everything that made them appeal to their fans in the first place...

Levina said...

I don't agree with you. I mean, yes, Antics was less good than TOTBL and OLTA was worse than Antics. But I think this new album is at least as good as their first.

If you just listened to the composition ITSELF rather than things like pace and stuff, you would hear it -- no, you would not only hear it, you would FEEL it. It's just like Brandon said; you've got to adjust to it a bit.

And seriously, listen to The Undoing five times and THEN say it is crap. It is so beautiful that it hurts every time I listen to it.

Emilie said...

Well up until now I hadn't listened to Interpol at all but given your track record of introducing me to killer music (aka I look up whatever you post on your blog and then it's stuck in my head for the next two months because I listen to it so many times) feel free to recommend their good stuff.