Sunday, November 14

Au Revoir Simone



There are a lot of girls making music right now who I refer to as "dream gurlz," a group that includes Beach House, White Hinterland, Azure Ray, Twin Sister, and more. They're like Mazzy Star's granddaughters. Because of the ethereal mood their music evokes, a lot of these bands are referred to as "dream pop" but I don't agree with that because the dream pop bands that I'm used to listening to lean more towards a shoegaze sound. I've always grouped bands like the ones I listed due to vocal style and the overall "look" that the band cultivates, i.e. cute girls with long hair and blunt bangs who write songs about oceans and stars. I feel like this style of music is getting old because so many people are doing it.

ANYWAY, I really like Au Revoir Simone because they're dreamy and beautiful.
Also, David Lynch follows them on twitter which is interesting to me.

6 comments:

AFitz said...

david lynch LOVES au revoir simone. he played their music at his wedding and I think they might've collaborated way back when?

AFitz said...

ANYWAY, i will never not love this band. back in high school when one day I woke up and was all "I'm going to be a fashion writer!" and decided to contribute to the first issue of prim, I started sending bands I liked messages over their official myspaces (needless to say I had no idea what I was doing...I think my profile picture was like, me drunk on New Years?). Anyway, ARS was the only band to reply to me and within like, fifteen minutes too. Their manager sent me all these high-res pictures and was like "If you need anything else, just let me know!!!" My 17 year old self's mind was blown.

Leah P. said...

love them! love your dream gurlz Hazel. pretty sure Brittle Stars is done making music though :( i think they kicked it in the late nineties.

Emilie said...

So good. Your blog seriously is my go to place for discovering new awesome music haha.

bobb said...

Nice song here.. yet another genre to explore:) I used to listen to KEXP when I lived in Seattle.

Eleanor said...

i have never heard of any of the bands you've mentioned... im such a sham! although that song is gorgeous! now illl have to check them all out! :) sound kind of like ellie goulding and florence and the machine maybe? but they're very very mainstrem. i like them though! great blog - LOVE your posts! http://improcrastinate.blogspot.com