Friday, November 5

New Whit Stillman film, AM I DREAMIN?

Not a lot of people know about Whit Stillman, which is truly a cryin' shame because his films are absolutely hilarious. Not only are his depictions of preppy NYC yuppies hysterical, Stillman really created an entirely new style of dialogue that I feel like some movies/television have kind of ripped off. His fast paced, epigrammatic dialogue has heavily influenced Noah Baumbach (whose film Kicking and Screaming is often described as Whit Stillman-esque), Wes Anderson, and even the characters on Gilmore Girls (okay maybe not, but listen to Rory...she sounds just like Audrey from Metropolitan!)

Unfortunately, he's really only created three films, but they're such treasures! Metropolitan is still one of my absolute favorite comedies, although some people just don't "get" it, the dry humor flying right over the heads. Barcelona and Last Days of Disco are also funny, but both don't reach the same brilliance that Metropolitan achieved.

I want more Whit Stillman! So when I heard that he's making a new film called "Damsels in Distress" (which I first heard about around 6 months ago) I freaked out. I've heard that the plot is:
The picture centers on a group of college girls who take in a new student and teach her their own misguided ways of helping people. Lily, a new student at Seven Oaks University, winds up filling in with a dynamic and highly individualistic group of girls, addicted to the elegance of the past: Heather, Violet and Rose all volunteer at the campus Suicide Prevention Center, convinced that musical dance, sharp clothes and good hygiene — the Dior perfume "Diorissimo" is their trademark — can all contribute to staving off the inevitable self-destructive impulses that follow hard on the heels of failed college romances. Despite their sophisticated talk and savvy use of perfume, the girls are plagued by Cupid's arrows and must adjust their psyches to the onset of amour.

If you're familiar with his work and style, you'll know that this is a recipe for SUCCESS! I'm so stoked, it's got an IMBD page and everything!!!

4 comments:

sarah said...

Felt kinda gutted that I had no idea who this was, google-d mid read and then realised Stillman directed Last Days of Disco, which I thought was pretty decent. Must watch Metropolitan now... eep!

Veronica said...

I used to not like Metropolitan but I watched the whole thing with my mom and I loved it! I just got Barcelona on Netflix too.

pony_party said...

I'm really excited that you are excited for his new film! I have a friend that JUST finished working on it, and he's assured me that it's something to look forward to. I can't wait!!!

Leah P. said...

Ahh shoot i heard about this it is SO exciting! love me some Last Days of Disco. the plot of this sounds so bad i bet its going to be brilliant.