Tuesday, March 29

FEAR OF A BLACK PLANET


Hey remember when rappers created music that was original, intelligent, and political? I do! And I wasn't even born yet! I don't listen to a lot of rap, but I DO know that this album is the BEST OF ALL TIME. Also Big Daddy Kane's part in "Burn Hollywood Burn" is too good:
"As I walk the streets of Hollywood Boulevard
Thinin' how hard it was to those that starred
In the movies portrayin' the roles
Of butlers and maids slaves and hoes
Many intelligent Black men seemed to look uncivilized
When on the screen
Like a guess I figure you to play some jigaboo
On the plantation, what else can a nigger do
And Black women in this profession
As for playin' a lawyer, out of the question
For what they play Aunt Jemima is the perfect term
Even if now she got a perm
So let's make our own movies like Spike Lee
Cause the roles being offered don't strike me
There's nothing that the Black man could use to earn
Burn Hollywood burn"

Burn Hollywood Burn - Public Enemy

3 comments:

Emily said...

there are a ton of original, intelligent, political rappers out there today!

Hazel said...

Although that may be true, I feel like most of the popular rap that is praised, played on the radio, blasted by today's youth isn't very well-written or has a message. I certainly don't know much about the genre, but kids today are not favoring rappers who speak as strongly as these guys. It's rap with a more "pop" message. I don't think rap is necessarily obligated to be political, but I certainly think most rap has turned away from political issues especially those facing African Americans.

But their definitely are original and intelligent rappers. Are they the most popular today? I doubt it.

Anonymous said...

jigaboo- it's almost as great as jiggolo!