Monday, April 11

30 Day Song Challenge : A Song That Reminds You of Somewhere



This was hard. I definitely have songs that are specifically attached to moments and people but not really for any specific places. But I can not think of this song without thinking of my trip to Egypt...

My extended family and I (the Jewish side) took a trip to Egypt when I was in 8th grade (13 years old WOW!) Bedraggled and tired from our long flight and long bus ride and long everything, we crawled to the nearest restaurant in our hotel (there was only one restaurant...we were the only guests) for some good ole' faux-American cookin' because that's what they served.

About a good 20 minutes into dinner my dad realized that the restaurant was playing the exact same tune...over and over again. It was an Egyptian cover of Barry Manilow's "Mandy." The only thing weird about it was that it just kept repeating the same two English lines over and over AND OVER again.

"Oh Mandy
Well you came and you gave without taking
But I sent you away, oh Mandy..."


Like seriously, it was just those lines. For about two whole hours (that was a long dinner trust me.) The song NEVER CHANGED. My cousins and I make fun of that moment still...I guess it was one of those "you had to be there things." We just kept singing it on the trip. I also have fond memories of dancing the "Cotton Eye'd Joe" with my cousin Laura at Christmas on a dark little dancefloor on the ship we were staying on. The German families that stayed there also looked at us like we were crazy. Ah, to be American.

But I can't think of Egypt without having "Mandy" playing in my head. That certainly makes any sort of political coverage I watch on tv a little hilarious. Sorry Egypt! You'll forever be associated with Barry!

3 comments:

Emily said...

someone told me this song was about his dog.

bobb said...

"Mandy" is a cover version of the Scott English song "Brandy" - which, as Emily said, is about his dog. Sending it to you soon:).

Hanna said...

He's smoldering the camera too much