Friday, September 16

Boondoggles

I have many obsessions. I might have TOO many obsessions. I tend to see something that I love and then I think it is THE greatest thing ever for a short period of time. Sometimes I try to tell people about whatever I'm freaking out over and they usually don't care so I end up blogging about it here. Lately I've been into BOONDOGGLES.


I found these pictures of "boondoggles" (or, landyards or braids made out of gemp/plastic string) on the internet and got really obsessed with them. When I was younger I learned a few of these stitches at my numbah 1 Jewish kids camp. Why I went to camp, I don't know. Needless to say I was doing a lot of crafts, okay?

I definitely knew how to do spiral (aka chinese) staircase and still do, but that's so easy! I also knew cobra and double cobra and I am pretty sure I knew the box stitch. If you're unfamiliar with gemp stitches, you might be reading this not knowing what the hell I'm talking about. That's fine because I also found this AMAZING website where there are step by step guides on how to do certain stitches! Wow! It's called Boondoggleman.com. GO FIGURE!





I'm mostly interested in the larger, thicker stitches like the Superbrick Stitch and especially The Corkscrew Stitch! They look crazy! They could make really cool pieces of jewelry, right? Or crowns? I just love them. I used to own spools of this string! Agh! Maybe, someday, when I have the time, I will get to make some of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have these as a kid but we called them SCOOBIES!!!!!!!!xx

Tessa G. said...

I am the same way. I get this way especially with crafty projects or one type style thrifting. I LOVE making stuff like this and did it as a kid along with Friendship bracelets and beady critters!

The green funky one is especially cool. I feel these would have been a fun accessory on Proenza Schouler's 2011 Fall collection..

teafortessa.blogspot.com

Ms. Elle Talis said...

I used to make these a few years ago. I totally forgot how I used to make them, but now I guess Imiss them.
And I thought only Portuguese teenagers used to use these.