Friday, September 30

Gunta Stözl: Bauhaus Queen


Who is Gunta Stözl and why should you care about her? Well, she was a German artist who basically took the Bauhaus art movement and applied it to textiles. Not to mention she was one of the few, or maybe the only, female Bauhaus masters! And you KNOW how much I love a female artist because I'm biased like that.

Mini history lesson for those unaware: The Bauhaus art movement was a German movement that ranged from everything from graphic design to furniture to the especially adored architecture. It was more of a school than a movement but you get the idea. Essentially, Bauhaus really pioneered the entire modern movement as we know it. It was all about working together (communist tone, of course) as artists to maintain excellent craftsmanship while creating extremely modern, put practical, design. There are a lot of Bauhaus works that I don't like (those that veer into abstract expressionist territory and I'm not a huge fan) but there are many that I do love and Stözl's textiles (wall hangings, carpets, fabrics) are some of my favorites. If you want to see more of her work, please go to this website!



7 comments:

Kailey said...

Ooh thank you so much for this post - I have been meaning to read more about the school! ^^

Mehetabelle is Holly said...

omg these are so fit inducingly beautiful

sight said...

Such beautiful textiles!
I'm a bit obsessed with the Bauhaus, I visited Dessau last Summer and got to walk around the school building....it was amazing!

Gabriela said...

wow, beautiful work from ms. stözl! the bauhaus school (as i apprehended it in university) never really appealed to me, but it's true that it's so vast and polyvalent that something was bound to blow my socks off :) thanks for sharing!

taylor said...

ah, I love her. The design school I go to is modeled off the bauhaus school of design (the more you are forced to look at all that abstract expressionism the more you like it, i've found. It's especially true when it comes to Kandinsky. I hated him at first but when I think about the principles behind it, I appreciate his thought process).

Gabby said...

ahhhh I HEART TEXTILE ART

Anonymous said...

another woman that was a bh master was MARIANNE BRANDT....SHE WAS A METAL MASTER AND MADE WONDERFULL OBJECTS...take a look to her!
xoxo