Saturday, October 22

Pipilotti Rist's Projections

PIPILOTTI RIST TAKES PHOTOGRAPHS OF MY BRAIN AND USES THEM IN HIGH BROW ART INSTALLATIONS. Just kidding, but I feel deeply connected to Rist's art somehow. I think she understands the power of visual imagery in a way that most artists, especially video artists, can't seem to. I just love her installation work so much. I hope to experience it some day because it's completely mesmerizing and gorgeous. It's just so powerful! Art that is truly powerful (not shocking, lord knows we have enough of that) but actually makes you catch your breath and collapse into the piece is hard to come by. I also love stretching the limits of artistic mediums, especially (right now) with artwork that is projected. I posted this video awhile back which takes you behind the scenes of the show she had in February 2009 at the MOMA called "Pour Your Body Out (7354 Cubic Meters)"

Isn't her work just so lovely?




4 comments:

Liora said...

that's so cool!

Liora
http://lioraatsea.blogspot.com/

Lily said...

Amazing... Love the idea of having those plush pillows in the room too. Can't believe I missed her show at the MOMA last year, ergh.

The Awkward Indie Girl said...

Such a beautiful installation. I wish I could turn my bedroom into this and my parents wouldn't object!

justien said...

!! finally, someone familiar with pipilotti!!!!! her videos with the remixed beatles songs are especially lovely. but i have yet to see peperminta...