Wednesday, December 21

I WANT A HAUS

I can't wait to have an apartment/home all to myself that I can decorate. Who knows when that will be! But, I've always loved uniquely decorated spaces and these homes are so amazing. My favorite type of home is one that truly balances modern with old. My current house is a salt-box style house and everything is very rustic in the decor and architecture (we have no doorknobs, only latches, and we have a lot of colonial-style furniture.) I love dark wood and furniture fit for a cabin, but I also really like modern furniture and art. I remember a thousand moons ago I saw this tv special on people who had taken really old barns and renovated the insides to be these sleek, completely modern buildings. They looked like crumbling old barns on the outside, but inside they looked like museums. It was so neat! But my future holds apartments the size of shoeboxes, so catch up with me in 20+ years and we'll see where my interior design dreams are :)

I often find myself falling in love with houses and decorated-spaces over the internet. I'm currently obsessing over these three (very different) homes:

This"Beach Street Loft" in Boston. I LOVE that staircase with all of the plants and the color combinations in the "theater/living room" are so good. I feel like these pictures were taken in the 70's, maybe? Or not! I just love all of the Indian textiles and animal statues. Such an interesting looking house.



This London townhouse. This house seems so clean and minimalist, but it's not that textbook minimalism that comes to mind for me (ex: sleek white couches that nobody can sit on). I love all of the artwork, especially the framed butterflies and other pictures above the mantle. Even the bathroom is great, with its black and white checkered floor and bright blue paisley wallpaper. So pretty!



Jess Wright's Melbourne home. This house is so filled with the perfect type of colorful clutter and all of the artwork is SO GOOD. I love all the kitsch, of course. So many Virgin Mary statues and cute children's artwork. I could fill my whole future house with children's artwork!


6 comments:

Jem said...

Wow that staircase is so amazing! One of my favourite houses is a woman's that I babysit/family friends with who owns Dinosaur Designs, that makes amazing resin jewellery. It's alwa

http://thedesignfiles.net/2011/04/sydney-home-liane-rossler-and-family/

olivia bee said...

ahhhh i too have dreams of my own place...aaaall i think about...

anna said...

Beautiful and whimsical. Such a fantasy home!

sedgwick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sedgwick said...

i really like the first home a lot, and i love the idea of having plants inside. I have a little collection of cactuses that I am expanding. It's so good, you can neglect them for months and they still look cute.

laia. said...

i think it's weird that "staircase envy" is a total REAL thing.