Saturday, March 2

Massive Attack; Back In The Groove



Lately, the way I listen to music goes like this: I find one song by an artist that really hooks me and I will, no exaggeration, listen to just that song on repeat for 2-3 days. Then, I'll ultimately get sick of it and it will be forgotten in my iTunes library. I'm listening to music on a song by song basis and rarely listening to entire albums. If I do, it's because it's REALLY amazing or because I have to for work reasons. It's a shame. I don't know why I force myself to listen to a great song so many times it drives me mad, but I do.

One of the songs I've been listening to on repeat the past week is "Dissolved Girl" by Massive Attack. I had to make a "Hanging Out With Laura Palmer" playlist for Rookie, so naturally I thought "What are the creepiest bands in my iTunes I can pull music from for this?" and Massive Attack immediately came to mind.

Every once in awhile I'll forget about a favorite band. Massive Attack is one of those bands. I have every single Massive Attack album but it's not something I listen to casually. You have to really be in a certain mood to listen to a lot of Massive Attack. For one thing, it's just downright scary. The music is actually scary. Trip Hop can just be sort of creepy (looking at you, Beth Gibbons.) Also, Massive Attack is one of those acts like The Chemical Brothers or Air in that it might as well be a movie score. It's soundtrack music, in a way. Sort of begging for a trailer. "Dissolved Girl" could very well be Lisbeth Salander's theme song. "Teardrop," arguably Massive Attack's most popular song, is the opening theme music to the TV show House. Their song "Angel" was used in a Victoria's Secret commercial which is just CRAZY because, again, it's really scary! And intense! What?!

Anyway, here are some of my favorite Massive Attack songs because god damnnn I love them.







1 comment:

Cecilia Sammarco said...

love this post!
C
http://visualthink.blogspot.it/2013/03/nowhere-mesdemoiselles-perdues.html